Foras na Gaeilge will open its doors again on Culture Night for a live performance of An Bóthar: Songs on Poems by Seán Ó Ríordáin, on Friday 16 September from 8.00 p.m. at Foras na Gaeilge, 7 Merrion Square, Dublin 2.
Seán Ó Ríordáin (1916 -1977) was a distinctive voice in 20th Century poetry in Irish, a voice that carries still. An Bóthar celebrates his centenary with songs composed on a selection of the poems of this unique writer who 'played on the ancient harp of the mundane.'
Released as an EP in March 2016, this is a rare opportunity to see the project brought to the stage. The performance will feature special arrangements of the music from the EP as well as newly composed songs.
This project was conceived by Dublin musician Mark Lynch and includes the following special guests:
- Marcus Mac Conghail is a musician and writer. He received The Michael Hartnett Poetry Award in 2015 for his collection Ceol Baile. As well as composing and performing his own music, he is a member of the group IMLÉ whose forthcoming debut will be released on Gael Linn Records.
- Ríona Sally Hartman's debut album Big Starving Thing, released in 2015, has drawn high praise, with Lyric FM calling her 'a rising star on the Irish scene.' Among other projects she is lead singer with alt pop band Monster Monster.
- Pearse McGloughin is a highly respected musician and songwriter, both under his own name and that of his Idiot Songs project, described by Tony Clayton -Lea in The Irish Times as 'a series of sonic gems...that breathe life and art into electronic music.
- Steve Lynch has composed for countless commercials, films and tv shows that have been shown both nationally and internationally, including the IFTA nominated score for Saving the Titanic and An Klondike.
- EP available at anbothar.com and on iTunes and Spotify.
Entry is free on the night.
For more information contact email@example.com / 01 639 8400.